Visualization Techniques (Techniken der Visualisierung) WS'21/22
Dr.-Ing. Susana Castillo
Hörerkreis: Bachelor & Master
- This lecture is included in the Digital Literacy Certificate (Digital Literacy Zertifikat).
In order to ensure a smooth course development, we would like to ask you to informally register as soon as possible by sending us an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating you name, surname, matriculation number, course of studies (Studiengang), pursued degree (BSc or MSc) and contact e-mail.
The lecture will be conducted online in English (via BigBluebutton).
Lecture starts on the 27.10.2021
- Selection of topic for the talk from: 17.11.2021. First come, first serve - the available topics will be published here on the 03.11.2021.
E-Mail to propose different relevant topics: email@example.com
Photos, drawings, maps, diagrams, pictograms, cartoons, text, formulas, PowerPoint presentations...: Our sense of sight is the most important information input channel into our consciousness. Whether representational or abstract information, a suitable form of visualization enables us to grasp the meaning of information faster and more fundamentally than, for example, when we just hear the information.
The lecture will explore the background of information visualization from the perspective of computer science, psychology, neuroscience, and art. We will deal with questions like
- What is information?
- What forms of information exist?
- How does visual information enter our consciousness?
- How can information be visualized?
- What forms of visualization are there?
- What is attention?
- How is attention aroused visually?
- How is visual information stored in the brain?
The course is explicitly aimed at students of ALL disciplines and is also offered as a key qualification in the lecture pool "interdisciplinary qualification".
Additionally, the participants of this lecture will be given the opportunity to obtain a certificate for their acquisition of skills in the areas of media, information and digital transformation: the Digital Literacy Certificate (Digital Literacy Zertifikat). For more informating, please refer tohttps://www.tu-braunschweig.de/digital-literacy-zertifikat, or this document.
Place and time:
- Every Wednesday from 11:30 to 13:00
- Online: https://webconf.tu-bs.de/sus-eno-nhc-sd2
- Lecture period: 27th October 2021 - 16th February 2022
- Begin: 27.10.2021
- History of Visualization
- Visualization from the point of view of information theory
- Aspects of visual perception psychology
- Visualization and cognition
- Techniques for the representation of information
- Interactive visualization techniques
- Duration: 2 SWS
- Credit points: 3 (3 LPe, Studienleistung)
- Examination modality: Presentation
- In order to obtain the course credits, each participant must prepare and give a short scientific presentation of around 20 minutes in length on one of the suggested papers. Own suggestions for topics are also welcome! (please send the corresponding article in electronic form to the contact mail firstname.lastname@example.org). Topics will be assigned in November.
- Interest in perception and the human visual system